Wooden Texture Website Banner
Mt. Olive Methodist Episcopal Church began as a worshiping congregation in 1906.  Having grown frustrated at having to occupy thedsc04369_ worship space reserved for “colored” in the white churches, a group of Black men signed a deed to a property to be used as worship space for African Americans.  They annexed a pulpit area to the one-room building and worshiped there, at 811 Dares Beach Road, for many years.  In 1977 a much improved sanctuary was built and consecrated during the leadership of the late Rev. Andrew Johnson.
 
As the church grew, the vision of a new church began in 1993 as parishioners expressed their desire for space to accommodate a variety of church related programs and activities.  By November 2004, it became apparent that a new facility was needed as more church and community functions were envisioned.  Members of the church congregation were motivated and committed to pursue their vision. Convinced that the cause was right and that God would see them through, the members of the building committee worked faithfully and prayerfully to promote the building of a new sanctuary.
 
The building project was completed in August 2005, under the leadership of Rev. Robert L. Conway.  The new Mt. Olive United Methodist Church, located at 10 Fairground Road, supports a larger worshiping congregation, expanded Sunday School space, and a Fellowship Hall.  It hosts non-profit community groups and graciously welcomes visitors and guests to worship services and Bible study opportunities. The “old church”, or Annex, is being upgraded to allow ministry to flow in a variety of new ways that will also include support for community outreach activities.